Saturday 8 October 2011

The Final Stretch

One of my days in Majorca I took an excursion south to Porto Cristo. Porto Cristo translates Port of Christ, from the Christian Invasion of Majorca. A long story goes back that a fishing boat washed up in the harbour that contained a crucifix. Porto Cristo isn't like any other place in Majorca, because its income does not entirely depend on tourism. It still remains as a fishing village and welcomes many boats into its naturally built harbour. Just before arriving to this town I took a detour to the Coves Del Drach (Cavern of the Dragon). These caves are one of Majorcas main tourist attractions. The caves extend 2.4km with an internal height of 25m but the reason why this cave allures so many visitors is because its lake. Lake Martel, is one of the largest subterranean lakes in the world (177m long and 30m wide). So I walked through the perfectly lit formation planned by Dr. Buigas, and then reached the Lake. I wasn't really sure what to expect but everyone was seated and they played a spectacular performance, they played classical music, pieces by Caballero, Chopin and Offenbach etc. whilst they did a lighting show through a series of rowing boats. It was very surreal but incredible. Unfortunately I wasn't allowed to take any photos inside of the caves, I tried but they were hot on it so I got shouted at a lot.
Anyway I'll stop babbling and show you some photos. These shots are taken along the coasts of Porto Cristo.





Watch Tower

Turquoise waters 



After my trip to Porto Cristo I went back to Port of Pollenca, where I was staying and then the next day I travelled down Palma, the capital of Majorca and then to Arenal. I stayed in Arenal for one night and one night only. This place didn't seem Spanish at all but instead German. Greeted in German, the Germans special dishes, German bars etc. It was very disturbing to be so used to be surrounded by the Spanish Culture, which was then switched to a dominant German culture.  So every place I visited in Spain I would recommend apart from Arenal, unless you like Germans.
So.. the Odyssey is over, a great trip and an amazing experience. Where to go next?


My Journey

The look at my previous posts of the journey or my other work click the 'Older Post' link on the bottom right.



Contact:
markfoxphoto@hotmail.co.uk
www.facebook.com/markfoxphotography



No comments:

Post a Comment